Important: Switzerland has introduced new rules regarding language proficiency certificates required for work permits

Do you want to kick off the new decade by really stepping up your game? You want to change something, discover something new, and suddenly you get THE idea: I’m moving abroad! You start looking through various forums and come to the conclusion that Switzerland is the place to be. But what do you have to do in order to be able to move there? First of all, you should have a job. However, in order to find a job, you’ll need a language proficiency certificate.

Share post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

A language proficiency certificate is a document that confirms your proficiency level of a language. It is usually required when you want to study abroad or when you’re job hunting abroad. In Switzerland there are four official languages as a matter of fact, however, a majority in Switzerland speaks German, which is why in most cases your target language will be German.


Since January 1 st , 2020 there is a new law in place stating that people who apply for a job
permit in Switzerland must have their language proficiency level confirmed by a language
school that is accredited by the swiss federal government.

People applying for the C permit already had to provide this certificate in the past. Nowadays
people applying for a p also have to provide such a certificate. This mainly concerns family
of people who are not citizens of the European Union. Until recently, people could also
provide certificates provided by a language school that isn’t accredited by the government.
That’s one of the main things that have changed. People applying for a C or B permit MUST prove their language proficiency in one of Switzerland’s four languages by providing a certificate that was received from an accredited swiss language school.

This rule doesn’t apply to people whose native language is German, Italian or French or
people who have completed elementary school in one of the three languages.

People, who already possess the C permit and don’t adhere to the new law must consider
the possibility of their permit being reduced to B and that their legal stay may be shortened.
This will lead to higher taxes and also the possibility of being denied to apply for the C permit
for a period of five years.

Discover more:

Stay tuned

Subscribe to the newsletter

Get a 10% discount

Subscribe to the newsletter and receive a discount coupon for classes at EasyDeutsch

Subscribe to the newsletter:

Courses preparing for taking a certificate exam (A1-C2).

Important: Switzerland has introduced new rules regarding language proficiency certificates required for work permits

„Fasnacht” – a unique type of carnival in Basel. Why is it so special?